City Of Calgary’s Fall checklist (taken from City of Calgary’s website)for more information head to Calgary.ca/waterguide
Lawn and yard
- See our watering 101 guides to find out when to stop watering plants, shrubs and trees – Mature Landscaping or New Landscaping.
- Consult our YardSmart plant lists to make any seasonal additions to your garden like bulbs.
- Clean debris and dead annuals from plant beds, and cut back perennials.
- Place mulch around perennials and trees to protect them from frost.
- Prune your trees and shrubs.
- Let your grass grow into dormancy – stop watering and stop cutting.
- Turn off the outdoor water supply to avoid winter leaks.
- Properly winterize and turn off your irrigation system to avoid leaks.
- Clean debris out of your gutters.
- Clean and repair downspouts, and direct stormwater away from your house, ideally towards your garden.
- Clean and properly winterize your rain barrel.
Inside your home
- Still have an old, high-flow toilet? Consider replacing it with a low-flow WaterSense approved model to save money and water.
- Check your sump pump for leaks or damage.
- Clean out the backflow valve located in your basement.
- Use your water meter to check for leaks inside your home every six months as part of regular home maintenance.
- Check your toilets, taps, humidifier, hot water heater, water softener and other water using devices for leaks.
- Service your hot water heater, water softener and humidifier.
- Check your home insurance policy before deciding to turn your water off, and confirm how often someone needs to check on your home while you’re away.